Sunday, January 20, 2013

Joys of January Day 9: Boiler Room Coffee

There are few things that really warm my soul like the sensation a warm mug of coffee brings to my finger tips. Even better is when I'm enjoying that warm mug in an off-beat, hole-in-the-wall, java joint. Today I enjoyed a steamy brew at the Boiler Room Coffee, located near Steven's Square (one of my favorite places in Minneapolis). I had never actually been to this coffeehouse. However, my man had once brought me a sip while I was at work. The coffee was fantastic, maybe a little bold for my tastes, but still quite wonderful. Still, so much more can be absorbed about a coffee when experience in the ambiance of its home. That's why the man and I decided to venture to the shop today.

The location was a far cry from disappointing as well. The place was artsy and low-key. Located in a hideaway sunken underneath an apartment complex, walking in was a bit like walking into a Hobbit hole (aside from the fact the shop had windows and the door was not round.) Walking in, directly up front is a bar to order both food and drink, pastry case displaying a wondrous supply of wholesome goodness. I didn't have the appetite to try one of these scrumptious delicacies, but I decided I would have to come back for a fair sampling of a muffin or two, maybe with some soup. Instead, this time, I vouched for some coffee.

Traditionally I prefer my coffee tall, strong, and bold, leading me, with little exception, to consistently order a dark roast. However, as I mentioned, Boiler's House Blend ( Full City, nutty in flavor with notes of caramel) is a little too tall, strong, and bold. Therefore I went for the El Jefe (Boiler's French Roast, carrying notes of dark chocolate and a little smoke), and what do you know? Started myself a punch card (a small joy in life)!

View from my table
In a few short seconds my order was up and I wrapped my hands around the heated ceramic. Goosebumps immediately began scurrying up my arms as I drank in the warmth. I lifted the mug up to my lips and took a slow sip. Still, a little strong, and kind of bitter for my tastes. It needed a little doctoring up. Maybe if I would have paired it with one of their fancy waffles. I guess my own remedies would have to suffice. At the condiment bar I poured a smooth stream of half&half, a dash of cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. Sip. Delicious.

We grabbed a small table in the corner, and I seeped in the surroundings. This place had all the trimmings of a quaint place. A bookshelf filled with games and literature stood tall next to the coffee bar. In front of that sat two comfy couches, parallel and facing each other. Tables for 2-4 were sprinkled a long the perimeter, and a nice forest green lacquered the walls. Rustic and urban collision. Love of Minnesota.

The people and baristas were absolutely beautiful. Friendly hipsters in flannels and cardigans served up the beverages to eccentric artsy urban dwellers of all ages sipped in pleasure. A communal hub at its finest. I could have probably stayed in that corner and people watched all day. Maybe someday I will.

Definitely will be venturing back to Boiler again.

No comments: