Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hawaii in the Sky

Yesterday my great grandma, Claudia Carmen went to be with the Lord. It's kind of been a long process knowing this was coming. She has been in a nursing home for a couple years now, and last week she was placed in Hospice care. I loved my Grandma Carmen, and have a lot of good memories of her and my Great Grandpa both. Therefore, I wrote a poem in their honor, but to understand this poem, you have to have to understand a few things about my Great Grandparents.

1. My Great Grandma has been 29 years old for the past 50 years.
2. My Great Grandparents loved cantaloupe.
3. My Grandma always wanted to go to Hawaii. For their 50th Anniversary my Grandpa took her.
4. My Grandpa loved hula dolls (and quite possibly hula girls, but not as much as Grandma).

A long, long time ago
She was 29 years-old
They were sitting on the porch eating cantaloupe
when she told him of her dreams
to sail across the sea
to a place where Oahu means Hello

In the sky,
In the sky,
He promised her they'd fly
to a place where hibiscus flowers grow.
There they'd sit upon the beach,
sipping strawberry daiquiris
when they went to Hawaii in the sky.

One or two years more
she's still 29 years-old,
they had raised some kids who had kids of their own
when he looked at her to speak
"There's a promise I must keep,
to take you where Ohana means Family."

In the sky,
In the sky,
he promised her they'd fly
to a place where there are hula girls galore.
There they walked upon the sand,
he was holding her hand
when they went to Hawaii in the sky.

He loved her 'til the end
when the Lord said unto them,
come now and make paradise your home.
Now they both do rest in peace
Angels play ukulele
and the sand is really made of gold.

In the sky,
In the sky,
Hawaii in the sky
where the leis will never ever die.
There they stroll upon the shore,
on an island ever more
because they live in Hawaii in the sky.

No comments: