Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tumetoka Mbali

A few years ago I was attending a church with a large Kenyan community. And while i was there I learned the phrase "Tumetoka Mbali."

I was told the best translation of this phrase from Swahili is "look how far we've come."
 It's a phrase representing the process of reflection in which we compare the past with the present and find ourselves saying "wow! I'm no longer there."
And thus is the season I feel I'm finding myself in.  a season of Tumetoka Mbali.

Over the past year a lot in my life has changed. From one transition to another, I have been soaring, and since my graduation from high school I must admit that's a consistent trend. I feel like there's a constant force, stretching,  growing, changing me. And I must admit, those points of transition are hard. They're stressful. Anxiety provoking. However, it's the journey that has brought me to where I am today.

I was chatting with a mentor friend today. A woman that has played major roles in this process of several pinnacles over the past few years. We sat, enjoyed each other's company and talked about all the memories. All the good things, the hard things, the dumb things, and the things that left us dumbstruck. As there was a sigh in the conversation only one thing came to mind.

Tumetoka Mbali

Look how far we've come.

Isn't that the beauty of life.  I was again listening to these awesome 3dm devotionals and a point made was: I am not just saved. But I was saved. I'm being saved. And I will be saved.

I grasped onto the hope of salvation. I had that initial moment of realizing grace given, the life preserver thrown into the ocean and I latched on.

But it didn't stop there. Everyday I am called to continually recognize the grace extended. God doesn't want to just take me from one great conversion moment to the next. He wants to take me on a journey where I am continually experiencing and grasping new aspects of this love. He wants me to relish in new graces daily until finally I am perfected in the knowledge of that beautiful amazing grace.

And it's at points and seasons like this where he calls me into Selah. He brings me into a pause. Moment of quiet reflection.

Tumetoka Mbali.

Look how far we've come.

Papa, I thank you. I thank you that you have me on this journey. I thank you that you steady me, pressing me onward up this jagged cleft called life. One shaking, fearful step at a time you lead me and give me peace. I thank you that you bring me to resting points where I may pause in amazement of the thus far. I thank you that someday I will stand on the top of this cliff and be amazed at the view, taking in the vast colors of the sunset painting the valley in your glory. SELAH. 

No comments: