Thursday, July 3, 2014

relationship and representation

I've really been getting into these podcast devotionals by 3dm ministries (seriously, if you haven't heard them, look them up) and in the past month we've been going through the book of Luke,  taking it step by step, discovering how it applies to our lives.
Bouncing off the idea of having grace for one another and grace for ourselves,  today I was listening to Luke 6 and they brought up the idea of relationship vs. Religion. I grew up in church, so trust me when I say I'm familiar with the age old debate of "my faith is not religion it is relationship." However,  how often do I actually stop and think about what that means. Am I just spewing words that match my dogma or am I living in a way that emanates a life walking with Christ.

I was talking with someone dear to my heart today and they were telling me their story of how they had grown up in a very strict religious structure, set with rules with what it means to be a follower of Christ. It could not be denied that members of this faith tradition were followers in every way they knew how, but they struggled to live up to the standard that was dictated to them.

The tradition I grew up in so often strives to bycombat affiliation with these rules and regulations to religion that they find the word religion offensive. If anyone were to suggest they were apart of a "religious group" again they would spat "it's not about religion, but relationship" still they have a list of things they won't do, won't go, won't say, not because it's sin, but because abstaining will supposedly keep you from sinning.   So similar to the brothers they are ready to condemn.

Even in my own life I have my list of should and should nots,  because somewhere along the line a seed was planted saying something is wrong. So I follow without question, though I'm given no answer of the truth behind the laws of my life.

And when I slip up, as I do often, I am condemned, as are all the other religion or nonreligious types. Overwhelmed by the weight of my tightly wound standard that sinches up the loopholes of the gospel, I find myself choking on what I thought was supposed to give me life...and life to the fullest.

Meanwhile I hear the still small voice whisper, it really is about relationship.  In my mind I think I am living in the light of relationship,  but truth be told, I am still harnessing a noose of rules. And as I do, I feel my Papas hands loosening the rope to say, this is not life. He welcomes and says come get to know me. Do not fret about the should and should nots. Instead spend time in my presence and when the time is right I will show you what to do. The more we spend time in his presence, the stronger the relationship, and the better able we are to represent him.
And yea, at times it may appear that we are living to "that standard" However it will come from a heart of knowing what's right, knowing the heart of the one we repreaent. And the rest we can let go.
The better I know my Papa, the better I can make him known. No rules, no regulations, simply relationship and representation.  

No comments: