Monday, July 14, 2014

The master's hand

It starts as a canvas. A blank piece of fabric stretched across the board. Then inspiration. A sketch. Then a stroke of color. Paint layered upon paint. Finally finished and laid away to be admired long after the artist's time.

I have never had much interest in art history. I love to create. Paint. Get my hands messy in the work of beauty. However, the study? Never has caught my fancy. To study beauty is one thing, but to study the art of someone else is another.

However,  tonight I watched a documentary talking about the works of Leonardo da Vinci, and quite frankly I have been drawn into amazement. The research and techniques to prove the validity of a work are truly where art and science collide. The testing of the canvas. The paint. Even recreation of a work. A forger must be aware of every element, including stains to the back of a canvas created trough car less transportation and display over time.

The details to account are innumerable, and Leo was a artist of superior technique. His attention to detail derived from a desire to place reality on a canvas. The pigments, shading, single haired brush strokes painting eyelashes. Amazing.

Layers upon layers of paint on wood. Lefthanded brusgstrokes, and even the spreading paints with his fingertips.
Signature work. His fingerprints are literally all over his most famous works.

And all I could think is how complex. Every inch of his work was done with intention. Purpose.

How much more my maker's intentions with me. Every inch so delicately,  and complicated pieced together. Could a forger every truly replicate.  How do I doubt my perfection.

Papa, teach me to truly see the Beaty of your mastery. May I see the layers of intention you spread over my life, and may you constantly remind me of your hand print on my life. Amen 

No comments: