Thursday, January 17, 2013

Joy of January Day 5: Prayer Room

Be still and know that I am God.- Psalm 46:10. As my roommates and I have progressed through out the year, we have talked about how this is tending to be a theme in our live. The act of waiting on the Lord. The discipline of finding tranquility and peace in the palm of his hand. In our busy, senior-year lives, it's sometimes difficult to find peace and joy. Anxiety arises, making everyone tense, fuses get short, and defenses come rolling to the front line. Half way through last semester my roommates and I decided to build a prayer room. Of all the places on campus, I may be able to say that this is my favorite place. Constructed from various accumulated items from each member of our apartment family, and some nifty sheets I found on Freecycle.org, this has become a place of solitude, refuge, and a gateway to Shalom. 
Pillows: The pillows that came with the sheet set were white. Now they're journal pillows where I collect my favorite verses from the Bible, recording my walk with the Lord this year. 


A collection plate to hold our sharpies. I received this as a gift from a girl on my floor last year. I was an RA and she came to my room, carrying this dish she had decorated in her small group. Suddenly she stopped, and said, I think the Lord wants you to have this. This is your story. Tears sprung to my eyes as I read the words. Every single verse had been spoken to me that year, and this plate encapsulated my year with the Lord.
Also Pictured is an electric candle I bought at a thrift store and modge podged with vintage book paper. 

A quaint heart, door hanger contributed by my roommate. 

Sticky notes containing prayer requests

Finished product: This is placed in a small hallway leading to the backdoor of our apartment. No one ever uses the backdoor, and in fact, it doesn't even have a number, so no one would know to knock on that door even if we did use it. We choose to keep it locked and use it as a prayer closet instead. 


No comments: