Saturday, January 19, 2013

Joy of January Day 8: Being Sick

Cold and flu. Tis the season. I feel like death warmed over. Actually, if I were to be honest, I have a lot week, but I've been plowing through, because it's the first week of classes (even though I don't even have a class until Tuesday). However, today it has hit me. I feel miserable. Is there any real joy in misery? Believe it or not, I have been finding tender snippets of joy even while under the weather.

Comfort Bags Tutorial
1.Comfort packs: A boy on my brother floor last year gave me a set. His mom made them. Little fabric squares stuffed with rice. I zap mine in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes and they smell like poop, but feel like paradise. I put them on my cool feet, cold hands, or on my tummy so that it heats my whole body.

2. Chicken Soup: Santa brought me a crock pot for Christmas, and this is the first day I've really taken the time to use it. Nothing tastes better than chicken soup when I have the flu, so this was a perfect no-work meal.
Peas and Pasta Chicken Soup

1 Bone-in chicken breast
5 cups water
1 Chicken bouillon cube
1 onion, sliced
1/2 package frozen peas
2 cups whole wheat spiral pasta
Thyme
Bay Leaves
Salt 
Pepper

Place chicken in crock pot and cover with water. Add bouillon and onion. Cookon high for about 3-3 1/2 hours. Chicken should fall right off the bone. Remove bone and add peas, pasta, and seasonings. Cook on high for another hour. Nurse yourself back to health as you enjoy! 
This movie is so beautiful. I won't ruin it for you, but
it's a must see. Watch! It's impossible to be disappointed
with such a work of art. 

3. Old Movies: For real, being sick is a great time to dust off the VCR and watch all of those old classics (either actual classics or childhood favorites you now consider classics). My sick-bed movie list: 
1. My Fair Lady
2. An Affair to Remember
3. Casablanca
4. Little Women
5. The Emperor's New Groove (Watching this with the roomie tonight, another reason to have joy)
6. While You Were Sleeping
7. Runaway Bride
8. Fried Green Tomatos
9. The Cutting Edge
10. Sleepless in Seattle
Choose your own favorite


4. Drugs: Lemon Cough Drops, Emergen-C, IBProfene

5. Tea!: Oh what splendid goodness is found in mug that steams to warm the inside. Green, black, white, herbal. All of it is fantastic! I think my favorite are probably Orange Spice flavors.  

Indeed, winter must be very cold for those with no warm memories. -An Affair to Remember

No comments: