Thursday, April 30, 2015

DIY Lotion Bar

This is by far my favorite day. I ran out of body lotion about a week ago and have been getting dry and crusty ever since. Then I scrolled through Pinterest to get some lotion ideas. The most common ones I found had coconut or olive oil, plus a Shea or cocoa butter and maybe some other oils thrown in along with some essential oils. So with that knowledge I got to work.

I walked down to The Wedge and bought myself about a cup of Cocoa Butter disks. I took it home. Melted in some coconut oil with orange and lavandar essential oils (so I smell like chocolate lavandar Orange, or candy) and then let it cool. When I started letting it cool I realized it wasn't hardening up like I thought it should. I mean, I didn't want it to be a rock, just like lotion. However it remained liquid. So I threw it in the fridge for 20 minutes. When I came back it was lotion texture, so I pulled it back out and set it on my dresser. Te next day it was rock hard and I couldn't even scoop it out of the jar.

Plan B: I melted it down, poured it into molds, and set them in the fridge.

Result: Cocoa orange lavandar body perfection. Just roll it on your body and feel the benefits. Initially it comes on a little greasy, but once I rubbed it in, it was just like any other lotion.

Here's the recipe. Enjoy:

1 cup cocoa butter
1cup coconut oil
10 drops orange essential oil
10 drops lavandar essential oil

1. Place cocoa butter in a Pyrex bowl and soften in microwave for about 2 minutes.
2. Add coconut oil and melt for another 2 minutes or until all is liquid.
3. Add essential oils and stir.
4. Pour into molds (I used cupcake liners in muffin tins, plus the. The liner acts like a wrapper for the lotion.
5. Cool in refrigerator until hard. Does not need to be refrigerated afterwards.

Use every morning, every night, wheneve you're crust, or whenever you need a pick me up and want to smell like candy :)

Don't forget:  May Day Challenge starts tomorrow! 

No comments: