Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Peter

So Spirit lead me where my faith is with out borders. Let me walk upon the water wherever you may call me--Oceans by Hillsong

When Jesus renamed Simon, Peter, he was calling him "Little Rock." This is ironic, because at the end of the parable about the wise man who built his house up on the rock and the foolish man who built his house upon the sand, Jesus refers to himself as Petra, "Big Rock."  This name change wasn't to say that Peter had arrived at the "goal," but a prophesy of who he would become. This was a summons, a call, a promise to Peter that he was forming him into his likeness.With each step onto the water, Jesus was forming Peter into rock on which he would build his church. With each step towards Jesus, Peter was leaving behind the identity he found in Simon, the fisherman. He was finding a new identity as Peter, the Rock.

This has caused me to reflect on the identities the Lord has called me to leave behind in a pursuit to follow after him. With each step upon the water, I have left behind identities found in performance, guilt and shame, control, anger, image, fear,lies, and even calling. With each step I walk fuller in the light of an identity formed in authenticity, confidence, freedom, joy, belonging, courage, truth, and being. I am a child. I am made in the likeness. However, each step takes a fighting for. I have to be willing to leave behind all that I have ever known. All that that seems logical to walk in a new knowledge that defies rational and reasoning. I have to be willing to lay down my own thoughts, to walk in the faith that is set before me.

It is the hardest thing in the world, but Abba, if it is what will shape me into your likeness, bring it on. Take me deeper. Let me walk upon the waters, and when my mind slips back to where I use to be, catch me, guide me that I may radiate your glory. Because where I am weak, you are strong. When I slip, oh how your redemption, grace, and mercy is illuminated for the world to see. May I be a beacon of hope. May my life shine into the darkness, drawing wandering ships to the lighthouse.




No comments: