Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lake Superior

Sitting on the rocky cliff, my eyes gaze out across the horizon, which I can not see. Foggy, the lake stretches so far it's impossible to distinguish where the water ends and the sky begins. An expanse so great my only choice of action is to sit in awe-struck amazement.
Wow! I whisper beneath my breath, but even this cannot give justice to the beauty that I behold. It would have been better to stay silent, because there are no words to truly capture the sight that meets my eyes.

Then, carried on the wind, gently falling on my ears of my heart a whisper "I love you." And my breath is taken away. Shock and awe overwhelm me in the discovery that as infinite. As powerful as the sight displayed before my eyes, there is something bigger out there. There is a creator so vast that he holds in his hands the ability to mold this structure into existence. And yet I so small he created me as well and he loves me. He so in control of every single wave that crashes against the rock. And I so in control of nothing, but believing that somehow if I try hard enough I can control something, which only leads to chaos, confusion, and sorrow.
He calls me to trust.

I stand in awe. No words can express, but overcome a song stirs in my heart. "Oh how he loves us." The notes escape my lips. A tune ripping through my very being to capture the essence of what I see, feel, experience, yet can never express. I'm taken away.

I so small. He so large. I so insignificant. He infinite. I'm amazed and given the sweet assurance that everything will be ok. I am so prone to anxiety, feeding in to depression, all sourced by lies and deception that I can be in control and I strive, failing every time. But in this moment I feel the freedom to let go. Release the insecurity and let myself be loved. Embrace my inferiority. Surrender to security. Only to be found safe in a Holy Dwelling despite outside circumstance.

"Our God you have been our dwelling place through all generations...." Psalm 91:1

No comments: