Monday, April 22, 2013

Mamma Bear

So I know I should have saved this post for a couple weeks from now, but I couldn't rate, and with a low impulse control I'm not. There's a person in my life I really want to highlight. She taught me everything I know. It's my Mom, and when everyone else a couple weeks from now will be highlighting the role their Mom has played in their lives, who is actually going to read all of those? At Mother's Day, when you've read one mom blog, you've read them all. However, I actually want mine to be read, so I'm posting it now before the mama blog mania sweeps in.

This woman is too important to be drowned out by all the noise of everyone else claiming their mom is truly the best, when in fact I know their wrong.

My Mamma is a Bear.

If the decor of our living room doesn't say it all, then let me enlighten you to some other aspects that may tip you off.

She keeps her cubs in line. In high school I had a huge rebellious streak (let's be real, a part of it sometimes lingers), and she was always the one to tell me what was up. Not just me though. Of course not, and not only my siblings either. Our friends, youth group kids, the kids on her bus route. She knew what was up, and they knew it too, and she'd tell them. She'd always get us in line. And that's why we loved her. She showed she cared by guiding us out of our misguided ways.

She didn't just stop with the kiddos though. Someone's messing with her kids, she'd take you out. Still, even in college. A teacher recently failed me on a pretty major paper. She caught wind and I had to hold her back before she jumped through the phone and landed in Minneapolis ready for a brawl. That's my mom. Fix me up, and if you mess with me, she'll miss you up. Again, same goes for any of her other cubs, biological or not.

She's beautiful and strong. She does what is necessary and isn't afraid of anything. She provides for her family and has open arms to invite others in. That's what I admire about her. She's a woman with open arms, caring for the ones she loves and embracing those who need love.

That's always been her heart. For as long as I can remember someone has always been in our house, maybe for an hour, maybe for 3 months, because they needed a place to stay. Needed safety and love. She opened up our home and showed how to be real, honest, and open, and still be loved despite all the  gunk hanging out.

Taking care of those who really need it. It's her gift. It's what makes her come alive and I am so proud of my Mom. She's who I want to be. She's who I look up to and admire. She's a Mamma Bear and I'm thankful she's mine.

No comments: