Friday, December 6, 2013

St. Nick's Day

All the children snuggled in bed, stuffing slippers with presents they would find the next day. This is what people would have expected me to be doing Christmas Eve, but indeed, this was what I did last night. Sitting up late, I helped my friend cram goodies and treats into brand new slippers for her children to come from St. Nick for St. Nick's Day (Dec. 26). Though celebrated in Europe, this tradition is largely forgotten in America. However, as my friend would say, "it's nice to keep Jesus as Jesus and Santa as Santa. Sure, let's get presents and have fun celebrating one another and gift giving, but let's not pretend to be celebrating the King of Kings when we're really celebrating ourselves."
I love this idea, and loved hearing about all the happy smiles in the morning.
Happy St. Nick's Day!

No comments: