Monday, December 23, 2013

dying to live

If anyone is to hold on to his life he will lose it, but if anyone would give up his life for my sake will find it. --Matthew 6:25

 Live in a worls seeking life...seeking hope, joy, peace, and love...
They hourly work week has sky rocketed. Seeking fulfillment that can be found in a store, we run ourselves to the ground in burnout, and for whatm...most people I know spend their weekly earnings getting smashed so they can forget the hellofa week they had. Ah isn't that the life? And if it isn't booze, it's food, movies, the latest samsung x galaxy phone...we want more and more and more, because at the end of the day we are searching for fulfillment, but are lost clinging to a less than satisfactory means to satisfy a craving for life...we're We're all looking for something. Me especially, trying to navigate through thi a cloud of fog my friends have begun to call my life. It has become clear I am in need of some serious direction..maybe even intervention...
and as I sit here pondering the meaning of my life I look to Ruth. Moabite. Foreigner.  Reject. Widow. The whole gammot of purposelessness fits her description. In a man's world where your worth is determined by the value of your husband, if you don't have a husband, you're screwed, and that's where we find our girl. The one strand of hope she has is a mother-in-law blessing her to go home and get herself a man. Go get yourself a purpose and let your life begin. How often do I feel this. Go out and do something. Find your point in living. Discover what you want and life and do it.
And this is ruth's response...
"I will not leave yoy. Where you go, I will go. Where you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God."
Embracing a widow's curse, she clung to death, a life of lost purpose.
And how does the story end?
Her value was restored. Her worth tripled. The salvation of the world was birthed from her womb. Her blood flowed through kings.
And I'm left to wonder, all these things to which I've been clinging, what would it mean to let go? To let the purpose I thought I had be put to death and embrace a new horizon?

Papa, I am so prone to become distracted by the things this world values. Reveal to me the life I'm dlstriving for that needs to die so that I may truly grasp the meaning of life abundant.  

1 comment:

Ms. Collins' Blog said...

Ame, to the prayer! I hear ya & He does too!!