Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Glorification of Busy



"Oh Martha." These are the words that have been ringing in my head over Spring Break. "Martha, Martha, you are worried and anxious about many things, but only one thing matters.  Mary has chosen the greater."

I feel like Martha. Always worried. Always anxious.Always busy doing something. Before break my roomie looked at me and said "You know, your parents should have named you Emily."

I looked at her perplexed. "Why?"

"Because Emily means industrious one, and you really never slow down."

That's me, taking on the appearance of an Emily and now reaping the side-effects. On this time when I have set to be doing nothing, I find myself feeling guilty. Isn't there something I should be doing? I'm taking a break. Is there something wrong with that? Apparently there is, because my mind is constantly racing with things that I should be doing.



What has happened that I have so glorified busy? Have a lost my sustenance so much that I don't have purpose without doing something. Though I have spent my last few days of my break perplexed and overwhelmed with anxiety about not doing anything, I am choosing to reclaim my sense of purpose, which is found in the Lord and worshiping him. I generally find that I am most able to do this by going on a walk. This is the plan. I'm going to walk. Pray. Walk. And Worship the Lord, for this is what I was made to do. The Lord has called us not to be anxious. He cares for us. Therefore, I will not be anxious. I will seek the Lord and worship him, laying aside the idol of busy and rest in the Lord.

No comments: