Sunday, March 24, 2013

Limited

Ok. So here is the deep theological thought that keeps tickling my brain lately: Jesus was limited. Isn't that a weird thing. We don't usually think that way. Jesus did miracles. He walked on water. He even communed with the prophets of Moses and Elijah who were taken up to heaven way before his birth. Not to mention the way cool fact that he was God of the universe in flesh. Still. He was in flesh, and that flesh part is what made him limited. 
What it means to be limited? Well...
1. He only had 24 hours in a day
2. He could only be in one place at a time (John 11:21)
3. He had to eat (Matthew 9:10)
4. He had to sleep (Matthew 8:24)
5. He had to spend alone time (Luke 5:16)
6. He experienced every human emotion (Matthew 9:36, John 11:35, Matthew 21:12, Luke 10:21)
7. He had to grow (Luke 2:52)
8. He had to trust the Father (Matthew 4:5-7)

These are all things I don't really think of when I think of Jesus. However, they're true. That's what it means when is says "he became flesh and dwelt among us." (John 1:14) Therefore, he understands. That kind of gives me hope. Especially in this season of life I feel overwhelmed and often anxious. I am increasingly aware of how limited I really am, and how I am in need of trusting the Father. Still, I am so slow to do so. Thinking I'm superwoman, I run from here to there, trying and striving to accomplish anything and everything and run through every door of opportunity that presents itself. I'm so reluctant to admit that I am simply incapable of doing everything. I am limited. Therefore, I need to rely on the Father. I need to trust him in any and every situation. I need to abide in the reality that he sees me, knows me, and has put a path before me, that he has also equipped me to walk. Crazy. Jesus was limited. I am limited. Jesus had to trust the Father. Therefore, how much more do I need to rely on Him. Trust does not require testing. In fact, often the testing simply proves my lack of trust. Instead, trust is simply the letting go. It's the falling into the sovereignty of God and letting him have control, as opposed to me fighting for control of something I really never had control of. Embracing my limits means surrendering to my lack of control and capability to do, and allowing the Lord to have control and do more that I could even imagine. I think I'm going to start embracing my limits. 

No comments: