Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Glory of 2 Hour Lines

Standing in a two hour long line outside of the Social Security Administration building is not a normal person's idea of fun. Standing, standing, waiting, standing. The whole county is served by this one office. Behind me I hear two ladies complaining and coming to the conclusion that Minneapolis and St. Paul need to have their own separate offices. There's so many people that just one office is not enough space. If I would have had any other morning I would have agreed.
I woke up feeling rushed. I had things I needed to do, and not enough time to do them. Alarm. I need a shower. No time for shower. Lather on the deo and put a hat on. Let's go. Exhileration. Work. Nerves already spasmed. All I want to do is sit down and wait. Too late. The coffee wasn't made last night, rush to fix the problem. No one likes an angry patron. Pull blinds. Pull blinds. Turn on computers. Pull Blinds. Check drop box. Teacher calls in a list of books for classes. Need to find them. How long? 1 Hour. Call numbers? Nope. Find Call numbers. Find call numbers. Find books. Find books. Clock out. Figure out where I'm supposed to meet client. SSA office. Bolt. Coffee spills in car. Book bag lands on horn. New zebra print seat covers ruined. No time to cry. Brush off car and go. Finally park.
Now I'm waiting in line. Finally, I have a few minutes to unwind and think. I say a short desperate prayer for my seat covers.
"Lord, if you love me, could you just make that stain disappear?"
Pathetic? Yes, but at this moment and at the pace my mind has been going for the past three hours, I think I am entitled to a little self-pity.
I just need to breathe.
RELAX.
Stop Thinking....
That's when I remember my verse of the day. "Come to me all who are weary and heavy leaden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-30.
Ironically, my post from yesterday was about being yoked to Satan. In the business of the day we forget that we are the Lords. We cling to the words of the opposer that robs us of the identity we have in the Lord.
So what does in mean to be yoked to the Lord?
Rest. Take a deep breath. The Lord is gentle and lowly in heart. He calls us to lay down the business and learn to breathe. Learn to live in his presence.
I Breathe.
This is a turning point, where I decide I will turn around my day. The Lord has called me to rest and put on gentleness. The Lord calls me to let him lead me. Therefore, this moment I surrender. This two hour long line is the best gift the Lord could have given me. It has given me time to wait, but not just on people, but on his presence.

No comments: