Monday, February 18, 2013

Sabbath

I don't remember the last time my schedule was just...open. Yes, most days I have about a 1-2 hour break where there is nothing going on, but usually I am left using this time to clean the bathroom or the kitchen floor. Then I'm off running to the next task. Does it ever end?!

The weekends. Of course, the weekends. Sunday is the Christian Sabbath, but because I usually spend my Sundays running from home to church, to home, to work, I've been making Saturdays my Sabbath. But oh the weekends. You can't waste them. Indeed, from early morning prayer breakfasts, to day trips, to parties. Yes, these things are good. Yes they break the mold of everyday routine, but running around from here to there, is still as busy as a bee, even if it is a good busy.

I don't feel like this is the way we as humans were meant to live. To be in constant motion, with never a stand still. Where is the time to just sit? Where is the time to think, meditate, and contemplate our lives? Where is the time to listen and actually absorb what the Lord is telling us? And often times I do believe he is telling us to simply relax.

Tonight I'm free. This is my first free moment in I don't remember when. There's no agenda, no drama, not even homework to occupy my time. So I sit hear and think, meditate, contemplate, and I hear the voice of the Lord saying: CHILL OUT!

Business so often creates anxiety, anxiety breeds panic, and panic detaches us from trust. When we loose our trust in the Lord, we forget that he's already worked things out. We begin flailing, worried about our future, our friends, our money, etc., etc. And become even more busy with the work of figuring these things out.

Meanwhile, the Lord is saying, "I've got this."

Tonight, that is my meditation, and this is my point of letting go of all the fears and concerns that have strove to cloud my mind. I am choosing not to be concerned and, instead, to surrender to the power of one greater than me. I have nothing to chase after and nothing to work for. You know, the Lord and I may just chill out and watch some Downton Abbey this evening and I think that would be okay.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted through out the earth."

No comments: