Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Mary's Song

Every time Christmas rolls around I love to reflect on the Christmas story. Between meditating on the actual scripture passages, singing caroled hymns, putting up the Nativity there's no shortage of reflection. And every year there seems to be a new character in the Nativity story that catches my attention. This year it's Mary. Maybe it's because since I've married a Mexican and we pass the Virgin Guadalupe every time we go to buy a concha. Maybe it's because I work in a crisis pregnancy center and, oh yeah, this was probably the biggest unplanned pregnancy of all time. Or maybe it's because I, myself, am pregnant.

But wait. Let's back up, because I haven't blogged since May and all this has happened since then. So incase you haven't heard the tornado of my thoughts, I moved, got married, and changed jobs all in a month. 2 weeks later I find out I'm pregnant. Now on the horizons there's more change which is a bit of a secret for now. But let's just say I'm just wanting a little taste of normal. Most of these changes are happy. Some have been upsetting and sad. All of these changes are good. But let's face the facts: change, even good change is a difficult whirlwind to ride through. So let's just say the Father and I have had a few sit-down cry sessions as I'm working on "managing" this transition.

Then we have Mary. The original "16 and Pregnant". And all of my crazy is put into perspective. Little Virgin Mary is stopped by a stranger on the street and told "Hey you're pregnant!" Talk about a turn of events. She was engaged in a time where virginity was value and let's face is, the only way to get pregnant was to...
To loose hold of that sacred treasure, as a woman, would mean a death sentence (I'm not kidding, Matthew 1:19).

So here's me crying out, because I want some normal. And here's Mary's answer:

“My soul glorifies the Lord
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
    just as he promised our ancestors.”--(Luke 1:46-55)

Mary's response was not that of fear and frustration, but of trust and hope. How much I have to learn. I think there are times where we need honesty with God. There are times we need to grieve and pour out our hearts. Then I believe there are times when we need to look beyond our fear into the hope we have. This is our time to praise. When we focus our eyes on the one who's power is stronger and greater than ours we begin to see the bigger picture that the Lord is at work and we can trust. He is our Immanuel, God with us. That is the meaning of Christmas. Mary was the first to experience this truth and as we sit in praise, waiting for God's plan to come to fullness we experience the Christmas story in our own lives.

No comments: