Friday, June 27, 2014

stress and the body

Today I got a massage. Seriously. There was a point in my life where I thought I would never do this,  but today I bought a massage and it was probably one of the most spiritually rich experiences. I went to my friend, Kevin,  at Detox Massage, where he focuses on the body, mindy, and spirit as being connected.  So cool. If you're familiar with ASOZO prayer ministry.  imagine that with a massage. 

I originally contacted Kevin, because as I'm going back into the serving field I've been doing some reading on self care. During the break I took from the field I recognized some areas in my life where I was pr acting poorly. I have a tendency to get into a completely missional focus and become an army seal trying to save the world. I get the mentality that there are to many things in the world we need to fix to enjoy a massage (or insert another pleasure in life here). I know there are several budding abolitionists,  activists, and world changers out there with the same view. They're all probably saying amen to my view point. But let me say after 2 years working in direct care and a year interning with crisis, I know that this isn't healthy. Yes, the world is full of evil. Yes it is evil when good people do nothing. But a greater evil is not stopping to embrace the good and let go of the bad. When we spend our entire lives working to fight the evil, we run the risk of being swallowed by the darkness and having our spirits die. I've been there and now coming near the other side of recovery I'm looking how to do this "helping profession" thing differently. 

I also contacted Kevin, because at my last dance class I was encouraged to straighten my posture. As I did this I realized that it hurt to straighten my back. After years of walking with a little slouch it feels unnatural and literally painful to stand up straight. And something I have learned in my short amount of life is that most of what is experienced in the mind and the spirit is made manifest in the body, and what is made habit in the body is ingrained in the mind and spirit. So I decided I was going to start working this out. 

I'm a clumsy novice when it comes to massage so I was unsure of what to wear, where to sit/lay, what to do in general, but Kevin was a saint and guided me through the process. Finally situated, we began the session with prayer and the Holy Spirit undeniably led the session. 

As Kevin worked, he noted areas where I was carrying stress and tension. 
"Have you ever been in a car accident?" he asked. I thought about it. Yes, but the last car accident I was in was 12 years ago. We're my muscles really showing the symptoms of an injury so long ago? If my body and muscles carry such memories how much more my mind and spirit the tension over the years. Even things I thought I have let go and healed from, could there still he work to be done in these areas?

Another thing I noticed is that he frequently had to remind me to breathe. Wow!  A basic function of life, yet something I appear to be so amature at, taking in breath. Taking in life. How did it get to the point where something so basic had become so hard? 

So here's to healing. I left feeling amazed. Feeling refreshed. Full of perspective and hope. 

Today I am thankful for Kevin. Anyone looking for a massage, stress relief, or prayer, totally check out detox massage in uptown Minneapolis.  


No comments: