Thursday, February 20, 2014

blessings and curses

There's a chinese legend of a young againn ose horse ran away. Upon the news all of his neighbors sent condolences for his misfortune. However, his father warned him, "do not be downcast, for how are you to be sure that this is a curse?"
Within the month the mare returned, bringing with it a beautiful wild stallion. Upon hearing the news, all of the man's neighbors congradulated him. However the man's father warned, "do not be so quick to celebrate.  How do you not know this is really a curse?"
Upon approaching the stallion, the animal became wild, kicking and flailing to the point that he kicked the young man, sending him flying across the field, causjng unrepairable damage, and leaving the man crippled.
Again, upon hearing the misfortune, the man's neighbors sent their condolences.  However, once again the man' father warned, "do not be so quick to view this as a curse. For all you know this is a blessing."
Within the year war broke out in the country, requiring every able-bodied man to fight in combat. The numbers of slain was inconceivable.  However, because neither the man nor his father were able to fight, they were the only men in their village to survive the war to take car of each other and the the other survivors in the village.
Moral of the story: perspective is everything.
Today I was supposed to go to Canada. I spent 2 months saving for this trip and today we received a blizzard.  I am no longer venturing to Canada.
Because I am not in Canada I was able to eat breakfast with my housemates, spend some qualuty time and conversation with not just one, but two beautiful friends. I went for coffee with my brother. Spent some time in meditation. I was free to cover a shift for a coworker/friend who broke her foot. Finally, I get to go dancing. Not such a bad day after all. I guess it really is all about perspective. 

No comments: